SUN. MAR. 12 DAY 7 BARRANCO-BARRANCO WALL-KARANGA

If you research the Kili climb, the phrase "The Barranco Wall" appears as a kind of gatekeeper to the secrets of Kilimanjaro. It is about 500 feet high ( not that big on this mountain ) but is in places a sheer wall of volcanic rock that involves hand-over-hand climbing. If you get through the Wall, you've really accomplished something. Others say "no big deal" or "exaggeration."

I'm here to say that it is a big deal. In some spots, you have to hug the rock like a lover, pray to whatever god you suddenly believe in, don't look down, and trust your guide's instruction. When you get to the top of the Wall, you behold an incredible vista all around and a sense of elation and accomplishment: a type of "small summit" if you will.

So, in our case, we took it on after a hearty breakfast and in brilliant sunshine. We hit the Wall right away and, right away, we felt the challenge. Both of us were terrified but we powered through. While I struggled a bit with the height and strain, Jeff grew into the climb and was nothing short of impressive and truly hit his stride. He was magnificent to see and his enthusiasm was infectious.

At the top, we rejoiced. We met fellow climbers from all over the world who, like us, were euphoric. It was as though each one of them had surmounted something indefinable, something lurking in their souls, something that had held them back or troubled them all their lives, only to overcome it here on this stark and rocky precipice. If only that were the end of it.

As if in lock-step with yesterday, the climb after the Wall was mostly downhill over really rough rock. When we reached the valley of a small stream, we were greeted by a young Tanzanian who ws just sitting on a rock in the gathering mist and fog, a type of Chyron waiting to be paid to ferry us across to the mountainous underworld. And then a torturous ascent on small switch-backs, some with sharp rock outcroppings resembling the Wall. I lost my energy and my will .... AGAIN. I was shattered, exhausted beyond belief. I am sorry to say that I was the weak link in our intrepid little group. Self-doubt arrived again, like an unwanted fever dream, and severe feelings of failure and shame danced through my exhausted mind. It's mostly past now as I write this, but I'm dealing with an energy debt that began with the plane rides to get here and I'm not repaying it. I'm going to need some help if I'm to continue.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MON. MAR. 13 DAY 8 KARANGA-BARAFU

WED. MAR. 8 DAY 3 MOSHI