FRI. MAR. 10 DAY 5 MACHAME-SHIRA

For me, the good night's sleep did not arrive. As a consequence, I hated today and, as I write these lines, am utterly spent. I'm so tired, I didn't perform well on the trail. I put my head down and endured, but enjoyed little of the spectacular landscape. We arrived at windswept Shira Camp around 1:30 pm, had lunch and tried to relax. I can't think clearly. I shall try to recount the experience more fully later. As for now, if I don't get some rest, I have severe doubts as to whether I'll be able to summit. I'm sure that's the exhaustion talking. I've never been this tired.

Those were the words I wrote in my notebook on the evening of Day 5's climb. It sounded quite stark and depressing, didn't it? In retrospect, I chalk it all up to the fatigue. The day wasn't as bad as I had initially indicated, and, besides, there was much more bad stuff to come. But I was dealing with an exhaustion debt I have already written about and it was having an effect on me.

Jeff maintains that I was nowhere near as tired as I thought I was. He was quite impressed with my ability to soldier on despite the fatigue. Those are nice words, and probably quite true. We both had to deal with doubts and fatigue, and they were worse at the outset of the trek. As we trundled on, we developed a grim acceptance that this was the way it was going to be, and, if we were to be successful, we had to just get on with it and make the best of it.

But it was more than that. Despite the hardship, we did indeed enjoy the climb. It's hard to put into words how we felt at the time, and that will, hopefully, partially explain what you're going to read in the next few entries. The fatigue took its toll, of course, but it didn't stop us. We dealt with it in our own way. My way was to be completely honest on a daily basis with the strain, stress and toll the climb took. If you take my upcoming words at face value, you'll come away with an impression that I hated the climb and cursed myself for taking the challenge on. Nothing could be further from the truth. I enjoyed it all, even the bad moments, and there were more than just a few of them. So, be prepared as you venture further in this blog. It will be both very dark and very uplifting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUN. MAR. 12 DAY 7 BARRANCO-BARRANCO WALL-KARANGA

MON. MAR. 13 DAY 8 KARANGA-BARAFU

WED. MAR. 8 DAY 3 MOSHI